With holidays quickly approaching, this is a great time to plan ahead so that you can stay on the healthy track through all of the tempting food distractions.
- Keep a food journal so that you can make sure you are getting enough of the necessary nutrients from fruits and vegetables, lean protein and healthy fats. Once you have those needs met, then you won’t feel as guilty adding a treat here or there.
- Don’t deprive yourself too early on, or you may give in to those cravings with a vengeance when you get to the actual holiday.
- Try to eat the colors of the rainbow when you are at social gatherings. Not only will it be a fun task, but also likely get you a wider variety of nutrients.
- Pay attention to how you feel when you eat certain foods. If you know you don’t feel well when you eat something, but you love it, you’ll have to figure out your risk to benefit ratio.
- Bring a dish to share that you know you’ll enjoy, in case you find the options available aren’t the food choices you would like to make right now. If your concern is about hurting the feelings of others that prepared food you won’t be eating, make sure to compliment them on how beautiful the food looks or how much time they may have spent making it.
Here’s to a great holiday season!